1-20 : Preamble – process of questioning, focussing and enacting and its rejection. This leads to mischief on earth.
21-39 : Call to the People – where he is in the world, his
relationship with God.
- 30-39: Adam is mentioned showing his fall from grace.
40-46 : Call to bani israil – summary of instructions
47-103: Call to bani israil – how to recover
- 47-48: the opening of the passage, mentioning the ascension and the primacy of the nafs
- 49: mentioning bondage under Firaun
- 50: mentioning deliverance from Firaun
- 51-52: mentioning taking al-3ijl for worship
- 53: mentioning Musa being given al-kitab wal-furqan
- 54: mentioning Musa instructing BI to turn to Allah
- 55-57: mentioning BI rejecting belief till they see Allah manifestly
- 58-59: mentioning them entering a ‘town’
- 60: mentioning Musa finding ‘water’ for them
- 61-62: mentioning them unable to handle ‘one food’
- 63-66: mentioning God taking their covenant
- 67-71: mentioning the story of the baqarah
- 72-82: mentioning the story of the nafs
- 83: mentioning the law in essence
- 84-92: mentioning the law from the angle of interpersonal relations
- 93-103: Another angle to the covenant story. This time a bigger exposition from the angle of power.
104-121: Call to amanoo – to not be shepherded
122-152: Call to bani israil at their peak
153-167 : Call to believers -struggling in the way of God
168-171 : Call to the People, this time about consumption and shaitaan.
172-177 : Call to the amanoo, consumption and righteousness.
178-182 : Call to the amanoo – laws
183-207 : Call to the amanoo – our lifestyle, fasting, working, struggling in God’s way
208-253 : Call to the amanoo – the holistic nature of submission. Includes laws on alcohol, marriage, gambling, divorce
- 243-253: The struggle of Bani Israil against jaloot and his forces
254-263 : Call to the amanoo – spending and its relationship with struggling
264-266 : Call to the amanoo – metaphors on giving charity
267-277 : Call to the amanoo – Charity and ribaa
278-281 : Call to the amanoo – helping ppl out of ribaa
282-283 : Call to the amanoo – making contracts
284-286 : A summation of the mindset required to carry out this